Saturday 26 January 2013

Celestial Couture

Couture fashion week, one of the highlights of the year and the best thing about January, came to a close on Thursday, and after four days of exquisite beauty in the form of a couture gown, I am sad to see the end of it. 

Divine silhouettes, stunning detail and gorgeous colours were just some of the main highlights. I think it would be hard for me to choose a personal favourite show, as every year, I struggle to decide who deserves to be picked out above the rest, but then you realise it isn't a competition. It's not a race for first place at all, more a chance to admire the beauty of the fashion and the creativity of the designs. 

All week I had been keeping up to date with the catwalk shows via the style.com app for iPhone and iPad. It is one of the best apps I have ever downloaded and I'd definitely recommend it!

So, the four fabulous days kicked off with the Versace show on Sunday evening. I will admit, I was a little skeptical as it isn't my favourite ever collection from the Italian brand- they can definitely deliver more. In fact, I preferred Donatella's couture collection from last year when Versace decided to come back to couture after nearly 10 years! However, there were a few pieces that stood out amongst the rest of the designs which caught my eye. As we stepped back into an 80s vibe, the gold ABBA-esque suit was one of my favourites.




Up next was Dior, and Raf Simons did much better with this couture collection than his previous. This collection focused on the traditional silhouettes and the iconic volumised skirts from the Dior archive, in a much more contemporary way. The colour palette consisted of contrasting mints and burnt oranges, which was accompanied by beautiful and intricate embroidery, that all made for the perfect feminine couture collection. 



After Dior, we saw Giambattista Valli, creative couturier. The label's works never seem to fail my expectations, and though I was very much in love with the previous couture collection, I wasn't displeased with this one. The taming of complex shapes, each made to flatter the figure is not an easy talent, yet Valli some how managed to create masterpiece gowns that define the waist and create a ladylike elegance. My personal favourite was the couture take on the onesie: cigarette pants and a bodice with a trail behind it!



Next up, we saw the obvious favourite: Chanel. Now, it seems to me as though Karl has been trying a little too hard in these recent years to bring back archived ideas and fashions, and add a modern twist to them. I can say that I was pleasantly surprised this time around in comparison to my disappointment in the recent years, as Chanel delivered a goth-meets-romance show. The lace detailing on the dresses which indicated a subtle reminder to Miss Havisham's well worn wedding gown, alongside the heavy black makeup and the feather detailing in the hair, all created the perfect enchanted fairytale. The medieval-like peep toe boots worn with the beautiful yet quite sinister creations highlighted the 'Midsummer's Night Dream' feel that Lagerfeld went for. All in all, it was a magical show, with every piece a structured, show stopping design.



Elie Saab, one of my favourite ever designers showcased his gorgeous gowns on the final day. The usual over-embellishing adorned the dresses, which came in a variety of pastel colours, including lavender, baby blue, white and faded red. On the pretty red-carpet-ready creations, we saw lace and sheer fabrics. Not straying too far from his comfort zone, it is safe to say that Elie Saab's couture gowns were pretty, indeed. 



Another one of my favourites from this amazing week, was the Jean Paul Gaultier show, where the designer decided to look to the Middle-East for his inspiration. It definitely took a different turn from the rest of the collections we have seen, but there is no denying that Gaultier's use of bright colours, bold prints and of course, his iconic cone bras, was pretty amazing. The rich and varied pieces included tulle gowns, luxe tuxedos and patchwork trousers, which all made for stunning pieces that I could picture in SATC2 (the film), and every look differed from the previous. Truly, breathtaking. 



Last, but most definitely not least, we saw the beautiful Valentino. A perfect way to end the four days of exquisite beauty, this show did not fail to bring to the catwalk some stunning designs. I would have to say that this show for me, was the happy ending... The cherry on top of the perfectly iced cake, if you like. The princess-esque designs, all light, intricate and feminine, catered to the taste buds of women worldwide. The simple silhouettes with nipped in waists and high necklines echoed the familiar comfort of Valentino's past designs. After four days of celestial couture, I highly doubt it could have been possible to end on a more beautiful note.  


Marium x

No comments:

Post a Comment